South African boxing has been rocked by the death of former two-time world champion Zolani Tete, who was fatally shot in Mdantsane on Friday evening.
Tete, 38, was reportedly attacked at his home at around 6.30pm by four armed men, according to his manager, Mlandeli Tengimfene. The boxer was declared dead at the scene, while a woman who was also injured in the shooting was taken to hospital.
Eastern Cape police have opened a murder investigation. Provincial police spokesperson Brigadier Nobuntu Gantana confirmed that officers were processing the scene, but said the identity of the deceased had not yet been officially confirmed by police.
No arrests have been made, and police have indicated that more details will be released as the investigation progresses.
Tete, who won world titles in two weight divisions, had been preparing for a return to professional boxing. His manager said he was scheduled to fight again on November 29 following the completion of his four-year ban from the sport.
The circumstances surrounding the shooting remain under investigation.
The death of the Mdantsane-born champion marks a devastating loss for South African boxing and the Eastern Cape sporting community.
This is a developing story.