Two men have been arrested in connection with the murder of former two-weight world boxing champion Zolani Tete in Mdantsane, Eastern Cape.
The suspects, aged 30 and 22, were arrested in Ku Gompo on Saturday following an intelligence-driven operation involving several law-enforcement units.
Police spokesperson Brigadier Nobuntu Gantana confirmed that the men are being questioned in connection with Tete’s murder and the attempted murder of a 27-year-old woman who was wounded during the shooting.
Police have not disclosed a possible motive and said the investigation remains sensitive. Investigators are following several leads, with authorities indicating that further arrests could follow.
The arrests come after police earlier dismissed social media claims that suspects had already been apprehended, describing those reports as false and unfounded.
Tete, 38, was shot outside his home in NU17, Mdantsane, on Friday evening. Police said he was sitting in his vehicle waiting for the gate to open when two armed men wearing balaclavas reportedly emerged from another vehicle and opened fire.
Despite attempting to escape by driving into his yard, Tete succumbed to his injuries and was declared dead at the scene. The woman travelling with him suffered multiple gunshot wounds and remains in hospital.
Tete was one of South Africa’s most accomplished boxers. He won world titles in two weight divisions and holds the Guinness World Record for the fastest knockout in a world title fight after stopping Siboniso Gonya in just 11 seconds in 2017.
His death has sent shockwaves through the South African boxing community, with tributes continuing to pour in.
Police have appealed to anyone with information that could assist the investigation to come forward.
This is a developing story.